The Marketplace is a free platform, for project owners, governments, financiers, and service and technology providers that aim to increase transactions in the developing and emerging markets by increasing the visibility of available projects and financing opportunities.
In order to access the platform, users are required to sharing information regarding their organisation, activities, services and/or projects and instruments.
To access the online platform, market players – project owners, financiers and service/technology providers – are required to create a profile. In addition, project owners and investors have to add respectively at least one project or instrument to complete the registration process.
Once the profile is approved by the Administrator, users can
- efficiently search for information of interest, for example searching for projects according to specific investment criteria of an investor, and financing sources or advisors according to specific needs of a project;
- easily find more information about the most relevant entities, projects or financing instruments, and contact them;
- communicate directly with IRENA on specific needs and interests;
- access project development tools and data on markets, regulations and incentives.
What we do?
IRENA collaborates with a range of international financing institutions, support programmes and initiatives to support project development activities and provide project facilitation and technical assistance.
These activities include project assessments to evaluate the topical needs of a project to gain a better understanding of specific projects’ needs. These assessments are followed by an active matchmaking process with financing and expertise undertaken by the Agency and its partners, depending on the project’s specifications.
The Marketplace contains regional hubs where users can access all relevant information regarding a specific region. Users can access:
- data and relevant updates regarding the Marketplace
- country-level information on policies, projects, financing instruments
- access to the latest reports and tools developed by our partners
IRENA project facilitation tools
In order to improve the quality of renewable energy projects and support early stage project development processes, IRENA has developed numerous project facilitation tools and platforms that are be accessible through the Marketplace. These tools and databases include:
- the Project Navigator, a tool that provides templates and best practices for project developers to develop bankable project proposals, help identify funding options using the Financial navigator and supports the successful completion of their projects;
- the Global Atlas for Renewable Energy, largest global prospector for renewable energy potentials assesses developing countries renewable energy potential, by providing accurate data, including population density, topography, local infrastructure, land use and protected areas. The initiative comprises data and high-quality public maps of renewable energy resources from 67 countries and 50 data providers;
- the IRENA/ADFD Project Facility, a partnership between IRENA and the Abu Dhabi Fund for Development(ADFD). The Facility offers concessional loans to support government-driven renewable energy projects recommended by IRENA to ADFD for funding in developing countries;
- Resource, an online knowledge platform that offers information on renewable energy in several countries, including statistics, resources potentials, policies, finance, costs, benefits, innovations, technologies and education, and information on energy efficiency;
- the joint IEA/IRENA Global Renewable Energy Policies and Measures Database, an online database that provides users with regularly updated information on country level policies and regulations.
- the Solar Energy Standardisation Initiative, developed by IRENA and the Terawatt Initiative, objective is to structure and implement a framework for standardized contracts that will help streamlining the development and financing process for solar projects, to facilitate scaled up investments at global level within the five coming years through the engagement of relevant stakeholders.
Access the joint IRENA and ADFD Project Facility
IRENA and the Abu Dhabi Fund for Development (ADFD) have collaborated to create a joint Project Facility to finance transformative and replicable renewable energy projects in developing countries. The IRENA/ADFD Project Facility offers concessional loans to support government-driven renewable energy projects recommended by IRENA to ADFD for funding in developing countries.
Since January 2014, USD 189 million of ADFD loans have already been allocated to 19 renewable energy projects recommended by IRENA. Over USD 387 million has been leveraged through other funding sources to cover the rest of the project costs.